Layers of Life

I have put far behind me the stories of fairies, princesses and brave knights. I have realized that the moon is not a creamy white cookie that can be plucked from the sky to satisfy my eating desires and I have come to know that no ghost or boogeyman dwelled under my bed.

I became conscious of the fact that in gym class, the fear of getting picked last for the game of dodge ball was petty. The fretting over the little pimple that surfaced exactly on picture day went unnoticed because everyone was scavenging through their own backpacks, praying that the miracles of make-up would work again. It did not matter who carried the best purse or who smelled of vanilla, because someone managed to find “a brand new flavor” the very next day.

Everything was long forgotten and put aside in a dusty old box in the corner of my mind. And right now, the familiar feeling creeps up again. It rushes through my body, telling me that what I am experiencing right now is another layer of life. The worrying over midterms and finals… The rapid AIM messages about the group paper on “A Static Analysis of the Physical Variances in Spinal Structures”… The excessive amounts of frappucinos… The unnecessary questions about the suitability of my major…

Yes, I have unraveled the mysteries that life threw in my lap, peeling away the layers and delving deeper and deeper. And I have the confidence that I will emerge unscathed and with a better understanding of my identity through this college experience…

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

HAI , I FORGOT YOUR BLOG NAME , ANYWAY , I AM REALLY INMPRESSED WITH YOUR MATURITY OF THINKING , AND THE RAPIDITY OF GRASPING PETTY AND IMPORTANT THINGS , WISH , I WERE ATUTE AT THAT AGE

Anonymous said...

Hey, I agree with the previous commenter that your post demonstrates maturity. I think it also shows that you are keenly aware not only of what is happening in your life and around you, but also what it means in the long run. You can see beyond the physicality of the immediate incidents and verbalize how it makes you who you are. I wish more people had that ability.

Anonymous said...

wow...i wonder what it'd be like looking back at this stage of our lives in the future? but dude it's alright to worry about trivial things sometimes...sometimes you need a distraction from the big stuff, no?

Ranjith said...

like the ppl above, I've no idea what you're aware of! I'm aware that I can always find a suuuper post everytime I open your blog. I love this post too..(as usual, huh!) :)

I'll search your blog for something you've written not so good and berate it.. ha ha..

 

About Me!

To escape from the humdrum existence people call "life", I explore the jungle of my mind. A meandering path, with thoughts as my obstacles. I put aside the smiling face of my mother, snapshots of holidays with friends, lost memories of my childhood... All in an attempt to find answers to my branching questions.

Free CSS Template by CSSHeaven.org TNB