Going on 22

He was so hard to read. His face expressions, his demeanor, his subtle mysterious smile... Everything bout him was so hard to decipher. His words were all I could go on. He said he liked the gift. He said he liked the strawberries and creme. He said he didn't like the cold black coffee. He said he liked NYC. He said he loved the hudson. And that's just it... The ONLY thing I could decipher was his love for the Hudson river. I could literally SEE the peacefulness wash over his face when he told me how his friends and him would waste away entire evenings sitting in front of the Hudson river. and thats bout it...

It was completely opposite to me. No squeals of excitement, no hyperness, no constant high pitched babbling... nothing. it was more of a deep, low, smoothly flowing murmur, a nod of acquiscence here and there; acknowleding his likes.A crooked suave grin with his chin lifted upward to display humor or lightheartedness, or a fleeting powerful glance when our gazes met like he was about to dive into my eyes and come out a victorious warrior with a prize of figuring me out... it was ALL of that. The whole mysterious aura around him was impenetrable. He did talk bout his life, his pets, his home but the calm look never left his face. All I had were his words to go on...

It was perfect. It kept me on my toes... kept me thinking. Kept me wanting to observe him. Whenever he would look down to take a sip of his bitter black coffee, or whenever he bent down to pick up the strawberries and creme, I would quickly run my eyes from top to bottom. Tryin to take in his dark blue cotton shirt unbuttoned at the collar, his blue, slightly faded jeans, and his brown shoes.

I observed the way he sat, completely confident. Fearless. Especially when he sat across from me in Starbucks. A cool posture. A slight slouch that every young person has nowadays, but he seemed to hold himself up with a subtle sort of composure. I saw how his muscles flexed in his arms when he picked up his backpack. His eyes were small, not expressive at all. But whenever he was trying to remember somethin, he would roll them, and part his lips a bit, thinking hard...

His smile... I have no idea how to even start to describe it. I couldn't understand it at ALL. It was crooked, lopsided, very handsome... The grin... always the grin. Never a hearty laugh. I haven't heard him laugh at all. Maybe give me a small chuckle, but not laugh. And it makes it even more mysterious. Makes me think, "To wht extent did he feel tht humor? The small chuckle doesn't tell me anything". Or maybe he just didn't find anything that amusing to give a hearty laugh. Or maybe my conclusions are all wrong...

I enjoyed every minute... Listening, laughing and talking. I spent the entire time trying to figure him out. I couldn't... Maybe I was trying too hard. Maybe I just can't figure people out. Maybe nothing I just said has anything to do with him.

So many maybe's... So many possibilities...

___________________________________________________________________

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
~Mark Twain


17 thoughts:

Ranjith said...

who was it??

Zephyr said...

i have NO idea! apparently, i just made him up in my head! go figure.

Kush said...

That phantom in your fantasy will soon take concrete form - will you recognize him when he does?

Zephyr said...

I have been quietly told,
This man does not exist in this world.
The phantom I have seen,
Realized what has been,
Was my perception,
Perhaps a deception.
But I have recognized what is true,
And also what I have to do.
Yet I sit here just as still,
With nothing but these words to fill,
The empty spaces and silence.
Thus on hope, is my reliance.
For maybe this will reveal,
What I surreptitiously veil.

Kush said...

A wizard with words you are. Nice poem.

Zephyr said...

lol, i dunno bout wizard. but yes, words are awesome to get across a message. as cryptic as it may be. esp if one doesn't want to say it out loud. hopefully the msg gets through to those who actually read between the lines! :) thanks for dropping by and the gracious comments!

Kush said...

add me on G Talk if u like. find my id on my profile page.

Ranjith said...

where did u get the mark twains' quotation from!! ;)

Zephyr said...

just another one of those google searches! haha. that had something to do w/ truth and fiction. oh wht would we do w/o google!

The Unsure Ascetic said...

Which Starbucks are you talking about? Could have been me because i just could not overlook the similarities.

Anyhow, I fed your fishes.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and reading the rather long short story.

Zephyr said...

haha, well the post says nyc, n i highly doubt u were anywhere near that area. but then again, this was all in my head, so who knows. lol.

thanks for feeding my fishes! :)

n the 'rather long short story' didn't rly feel long at all. it was rly well written! :)

\/ said...

And this handsome, mysterious fantasy in the post is my idiot room partner !! ( pun intended )

...beautifully captured and framed.
Very true indeed.
(I have my fingers crossed.)

Zephyr said...

daredevil,

Ah, irony at its best! haha.

thanks for the comments! :)

\/ said...

Irony...yeah... Human beings are masterpieces of irony... and this one is a still special one.

Hey... pardon me asking, I am not aware of the code of conduct of blogging, but couldn't help wonder,
are you a sagittarius or scorpio ?

Zephyr said...

actually, neither. may i ask y u chose to guess those two signs instead of any others?

\/ said...

Coz personally, I have seen yr depth of observation/expression/abstraction in those only.

Now I am very curious and you know what my next question is :)
Again, if I may ask...what is it ?

Zephyr said...

ah well, sometimes, curiosity kills the cat. haha.

the sign characterized as stubborn, patient but blinded red by rage when provoked, yet mostly stable, and down to earth. taurus.

 

About Me!

To escape from the humdrum existence people call "life", I explore the jungle of my mind. A meandering path, with thoughts as my obstacles. I put aside the smiling face of my mother, snapshots of holidays with friends, lost memories of my childhood... All in an attempt to find answers to my branching questions.

Free CSS Template by CSSHeaven.org TNB